Personal Weblog of Annett Thogersen

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Clubbing in Tokyo.

This weekend we decided to check out the clubs in Tokyo. Tokyo is supposed to be one of the best cities to go clubbing…so we had to at least try it once. We decided to combine it with going to the Tokyo fish marked. It is supposed to be one of the world’s largest fish markets, and arriving around 5 am is a must. Well I am not a morning person, so the only way to get me there that early in the morning is to stay up all night. So that was our plan.

(Before-picture)

Georg and me took Friday off to go shopping for souvenirs in Tokyo during the day, and were meeting Fiona, Milica and Pedro outside Shibuya station at 11:30pm. After a lot of research and some books we decided to check out Xanadu. It is located close to Shibuya station, cheap drinks and cover, plus they had a three year anniversary for the club that day. It was a good club to make the start of our evening. The cover was 1500 JYP (included two drinks, for a girl that is), they had a decent dance floor and decent music. We stayed there for an hour or so, got some drinks, and danced a lot. Since this was our first/only night out we wanted to visit a lot of clubs, so we moved on.

After some failed attempt to find a club called the Ruby room, we ended up going for a club called Gaspanic. They had no cover and the club was supposed to be a good place to go out. From the first impression the club and people seemed a bit shady, but cozy, and had only a very small dance floor. We were about to leave when some great music (mostly R&B and hiphop) came on, so we decided to stay for one drink. It turned out to be one of the best places we went to that night. They played GREAT music and were very cozy. We had a great time dancing and stirring things up. The song “get it started” (with Black Eyed Peas) and Pedro going crazy dancing on the couch will be in my mind for a very long time….hehe!!! We really got the people to the dance floor at that place.. I had forgotten how much fun it was to go clubbing. Have to do it more often.

After the Gaspanic experience, we felt very exhilarated and decided it was time to go to one of the really big clubs in Roppongi. After a short taxi ride, we ended up outside Vanilla. It had gotten good reviews and was supposed to be a big dance club. Plus we got discount because we were foreigners. It only cost us 1000 JPY (included 2 drinks), so it was very cheap. The excitement that we had felt at the last club quickly went away when we came inside. It was PACKED!! I have never seen that many people in a club before, EVER! On one of the dance floors you couldn’t more, just move with the flow. After someone tried to grab my breasts, grabbed my ass a couple of times and sleazed up next to me, I had sort of had enough. Milica and I decided to try out one of the other two dance floors in the place. We ended up on the house/dance –floor. Most of the guys was wearing suits (quite funny really), but they left us alone to dance and have fun. It was a great place with great music, and we stayed there dancing until 4:30 am.

(After Vanilla)

After Vanilla, it was off to find the fish marked. We had some small trouble finding each other after the taxi ride (two taxis, went to two different places with the same name), but we finally ended up at the fish marked. Silly me had pictured it to be sort of an entrance, saying welcome to the fish market, with stalls, tables and easy to find. Not really what met us. It was quite crazy. There was bidding for the fish that was going to the restaurants, small trucks driving everywhere (and those were quite near our feet a couple of times). But I have never in my life seen such a BIG Tuna before…..wow. There were all sorts of fish there…was quite cool I have to say. I have been talking about going there since we came to Japan, so it was nice to finally go there. We stayed there, walking around for about an hour. At that point I was so tired and hungry….so we went to McDonalds to get food. I know, McDonalds, right…but we really tried to find ramen, but all places were either full or we had to stand and eat. After the food we went home. We had a great night out, and I was asking myself why I didn’t do this before…With only a month left, I am not sure I will find the time for another night out like this.

(After-picture)

After four hours of sleep, pizza, crisps, coke and some movies, we went out again. A great jazzy/funk band called the Tengooz was playing at Cork Heads (our local Australian bar, very international). We met up with Milica and Fiona at Ninomiya house and went to Cork Heads for two bottles of red wine and some cocktails, and of course their amazing nachos. I was home at about 1 am, very tired and not completely sober….

It was a great weekend…!!
More pictures here.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was at one time a lot to read. Apart of all those pictures it took a lot of time. It seems to me that those clubs are not very different from the rest of the world.
    But certainly all those temples are.
    I think it is very good you can return to your flat and get some peace again.
    The day after I read your blog the paper was full with complaints of the disappearing from the tunefish.
    What are they big. I don't dare to show you the fish market in Groningen anymore.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home